Monday, September 1, 2014

Richard Schnap- Three Poems


CROSSROADS

On one corner is the supermarket
With its robot self-service lines
That have probably put a dozen
Of loyal cashiers out of work

On one corner is the liquor store
With its rows of spirits and wines
Where some purchase bottles to celebrate
While others buy flasks to forget

On one corner is the pizza shop
Where the disabled used to convene
To spend their last dollars on six-packs
To drink up their dead afternoons

And on one corner is the coffeehouse
Where Internet service is free
So that students can predict the future
Before it becomes the past

 
MIDNIGHT SUN

A shadow passes over my heart
When I think of her on New Years Eve
Alone with a bottle of merlot

A shadow passes over my heart
When I think of her burying a beloved cat
While chanting for its reincarnation

A shadow passes over my heart
When I think of her sending free samples
Because she can’t afford to buy gifts

And a shadow passes over my heart
When I think of her locked in a nursing home
As her mind slowly fades away


POINTS OF VIEW

He looked at the world
Through a skewed lens
Like a pinball machine
Forever on tilt
Where men sold their souls
For bullets and beer
To silence the enemy
Reflected in their mirrors

But sometimes his vision
Became crystal clear
Like a veil was lifted
And a new realm revealed
Where men raised their eyes
To wish upon stars
As if they were children
Whose hearts still believed

No comments:

Post a Comment