Saturday, December 7, 2013

Donal Mahoney- Three Poems

The Food Stamp Cafe

Being out of work
during the holidays
is twice as bad and
twice that's happened  
now to Wally Ballew 
who calls his kitchen
The Food Stamp Cafe.
Both times Wally convinced 
Beulah and the kids
hot dogs are haute cuisine 

provided you 
vary the preparation:
Boil them one day,
grill them the next,
and bake them 
the following day 
after you split them 
down the middle
and fill them
with Velveeta.

As a rule of thumb,
Wally says to toast
the buns and change 
condiments every day 
until a turbaned genie
rises from the mustard jar
waves his wand
and hires you again.
But save the recipes.
It can happen again.



What's Gonna Be, Asks Billy? 

Tell me, Grandma,
what's gonna be
when Grandpa dies?
He's layin' in bed 
and he ain't movin' and
he ain't sayin' nuthin' 
so tell me, Grandma,
what's gonna be?

Grandpa told me
come next Spring
we'll go fishin' again
down by the river
and in summer
and we'll trap rabbits
and have a feast. 
No one else goes
fishin' with me.
Tell me, Grandma,
what's gonna be?

And Grandma says, 
Billy, I don't know
what's gonna be 
except to say  
when Grandpa dies,
you and me and all
the neighbors will sit 
around the fireplace,
poke the embers
and tell our stories.
Everyone will cry 
oceans about
your Grandpa. 

But first, Billy, 
the angel in his chariot 
has to tap the horses
and swoop down
and take Grandpa 
off to heaven.
Your mom and dad
are waiting for him.

The angel's in 
no hurry, Billy,
but the horses are.
They have other 
calls to make.
Grandpa's not 
the only one
who has to 
say good-bye.
Soon, Billy, 
you and I will know
what's gonna be.
Now we can hug
and wait and see.
 


Did You See Adam Lanza?

You don't know me but
maybe we should meet.
I'm your neighbor now,
just moved in
the big house
down the street.
Yesterday I waved twice.
I guess you didn't notice.

Mother's at the store
but she'll be back
in half an hour.
I know she'd like 
to meet you.
Now as I said,

you don't know me but
maybe we should meet.
I'm your neighbor now,
just moved in
the big house
down the street.
Yesterday I waved twice.
I guess you didn't notice.



----------------------------
Donal Mahoney lives in St. Louis, Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment