Monday, September 30, 2013

Nathan J.D.L.- A Poem

Continue?
 I'm putting my money where my mouth is - a slot for consumption and a thrill in return.
Hands slip around the joystick and clasp it tight – like a warrior parading his stiff manhood before the enemy to shake their confidence, rattle them like this coin box.
The L.E.D's forming the display burst into life – forming characters made of red and blue and green flashing squares.

Boom!

Game on bitches!

Rule the kingdom? Topple the emperor? Save the little mushroom people?

Child's play for me.

I'm the adult-grown version of the kid that once played with glee. I have experience on my side now.

Prepare to die you fascist dictator, you communist bully – cowering behind your tanks, police-state soldiers hiding beneath your shields.

Daddy's home!

The game begins. Lives are gained... and taken.

A few minutes pass and my game is over – bravado defeated and pockets left empty.

Continue?

Feeling sorry for myself I wonder if that should not have been an option when I openly and happily strolled in to the arcade to begin with.


About: Nathan J.D.L. Rowark

Nathan J.D.L. Rowark is a poet and horror novelist from London, England.
His works include over fifty poems and stories published in various e-zines, anthologies, and magazines since his return as a storyteller in 2010.
He is the founder of Horrified Press (horrifiedpress.wordpress.com), and hopes to help publicise some of the great new stars working in modern horror today.

No comments:

Post a Comment