Saturday, July 27, 2013

Paul Tristram- Two Poems

Set Me Free

Scratch islands into my eyes
some paramount pretty view.
Wipe deceit from my ears
let honesty come on through.
Take the garbage from my head
superglue together my heart.
Teach to me forgiveness
unvolume anger for a start.
Take sarcasm from my smile
and paranoia from my walk.
Unplant the seeds of insanity
harvest up every deluded stalk.
Let me sleep with angels
let sex be what it should be.
Kiss the frog of my soul
set the man inside free.


© Paul Tristram 2003

Published in Panda Quarterly Poetry, Issue 19, July 2004



Hermitized

I want to be alone
I want to be only free.
Free from all of you people
free from your cloned stupidity.
Communities are nothing but cancer
neighbourhoods nothing but a disease.
They suck souls like vampires
destroying individuality with ease.
Populated by blind minded fools
with morals standing at attention.
With my back to the masses
I seek only solitary redemption.
My sins they number many
feeble attempts at fighting back.
Against the teeth of the Establishment
I am merely a puppy in a sack.
Drowning in another man’s laws
created before my cruel birth.
As I hold them up to the light
I see not a single gram of worth.
But still a puppet on a string
refusing to join the dance.
As false masters bind my spirits
at every single given chance.
I simply cannot play the game
I can neither win or lose.
I will not bow down to convention
nor lick the government’s shoes.
Insecure with the system’s security
unsettled by normality’s apathy.
I discard the rat race
and all it stands for happily.
Why struggle on in torment
why sacrifice my precious time.
Reshaping my own integrity
so I can cowardly stand in line.
I cannot censor my emotions
I will not wrong my rights.
I shall not live another man’s dream
while my own is in my sight.
I wear a talisman of logic
I carry a weapon of commonsense.
I disagree wholeheartedly
I will sit upon no fence.
I’ve been crucified by nosey kindness
I’ve been numbed by mortal misery.
A heart with load so heavy
unrequited love bigger than the sea.
I stood before you open
but you made me slam the door.
Dissecting my innocent desires
you made me sorrow’s whore.
I hate until exhaustion
I curse, I spit, I fight.
Every time that I am cornered
every time that reality bites.
Slave to me is a feeling
not just a five-letter word.
I feel it almost constantly
each time the truth is unheard.
Always thrown into the deep end
since the hour of my birth.
Pushed back in every time
that I try to find my worth.
The pillars of the communities
are built upon the foundation of lies.
Gardeners of instinct’s blossoms
cutting creativity down to size.
Alienation and ostracism
now replace the cracking whip.
I can feel the fingers pointing
as I leave this sinking ship.
World you should have been wonderful
humanity should sing but she cries.
I could have given you all so much
instead of becoming so hermitized.


© Paul Tristram 2009

Published in Monomyth, Volume 9.1, Issue 45, Winter 2009



Paul Tristram is a Welsh writer who has poems, short stories and sketches published in many publications around the world, he yearns to tattoo porcelain bridesmaids instead of digging empty graves for innocence at midnight, this too may pass, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment